5th and C Rehabilitation
San Diego, California
A three-story, 23,000-square-foot masonry building originally built in 1910 was redesigned from retail to office. The building is located in downtown San Diego at the intersection of the financial district, Broadway Ave. and the Gaslamp Quarter. A two-story masonry structure was originally built over a basement and a third masonry story and mezzanine were added in 1953. To facilitate the change from retail to a warm shell for office, new curtainwalls were added to the north and west facades to provide the maximum natural daylight allowed within the imitations of the existing structure. In addition, the building was upgraded with a completely new energy efficient electrical service and mechanical systems.